he Computational Physics research field at the Department of Applied Physics, University of Eastern Finland (Kuopio Campus) will hire new PhD students (early stage researchers) to work in the field of inverse problems and mathematical modelling. The students will work in a research group with three professors, 8 senior and postdoctoral researchers and 16 PhD students. The group is affiliated with the Centre of Excellence in Inverse Problems Research (Academy of Finland). The group invites prospective PhD students to apply for the positions, which will involve research on one of the following topics:
- Modelling and reconstruction in inductive flow tomography
- Computational methods for 4D x-ray tomography
- Inverse problems in non-destructive material testing
- Computational methods for monitoring ground water resources
- Quantitative photoacoustic tomography
- Computational methods for 3D optical imaging utilising the radiative transfer equation
PhD student candidates are requested to indicate the preferred projects (one or more) in their application.
The salary of the PhD student positions will be placed on levels 2-4 of the job requirement level chart for teaching and research personnel in the Salary System for Finnish Universities. The duration of the positions can be up to four years. The positions will be filled for a fixed term due to them being fixed-term teaching and research positions compliant with the university’s four-stage career model.
Prospective PhD students are expected to have an MSc degree (or equivalent). Persons graduating in the near future are also encouraged to apply. The application with the following documents should be sent or delivered to the Registry Office of the University of Eastern Finland, Kuopio Campus, P.O.B. 1627, 70211 Kuopio, Finland (street address: Yliopistonranta 1 E, Snellmania) or Joensuu Campus, P.O.B. 111, 80101 Joensuu, Finland (street address: Yliopistokatu 2, Aurora). The deadline for applications is August 30, 2013 (at 3.00 pm Finnish time).
- Cover letter indicating which project(s) are addressed
- Short CV
- Certified copies of relevant diplomas and transcripts of academic records. The diplomas and transcripts should be in English or Finnish and the grading system should be described
- Names and contact information of two referees
For more information, see www.uef.fi/inverse/announcement2013
All enquiries related to the applications should be addressed to Ville Kolehmainen, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Universal Education Consultant